Move Zero by John Bannon is an incredible 2 hour extravaganza on self-working card magic.
John Bannon's Move Zero is undoubtedly the most exciting study of self-working card magic this century.
There is not one sleight in any of the eight featured jawdroppingly impossible routines. That's right - no sleight of hand. None. No moves, no sleights. Yet despite being automatic in method, each and every effect is a staggering, explosive, layered stunner. And contrary to expectation of how powerful sleight free magic can be, these tricks will decimate any audience (be they magicians, lay people, even sometimes yourself).
Each routine is achieved with nothing more than an ordinary deck of cards. No gaffs, pencil dots, 'marks', gimmicks or extra cards. Many are also entirely impromptu!
And it is not just incredible tricks you are learning here. The fascinating, detailed explanations Bannon provides on MOVE ZERO reveal his incredible thinking about method, applied subtlety and intelligent layering. MOVE ZERO will help you turbo charge ALL your sleight free magic. This is a true masterclass in trick construction.
On MOVE ZERO you'll also learn seven essential techniques to put into your own 'trickbag'. These are the building blocks of self-working magic. From false cuts done in the open to card forces that spectators can unleash on THEMSELVES!
Forget everything you think you know about self-working card magic. It's time to plug into MOVE ZERO.
PRAISE FOR MOVE ZERO -
"I knew it would be good, but truly it's one of the best things I've seen in years!" - Iain Moran
"A generous insight into a devious mind. Clever, confounding card magic." - R Paul Wilson
"Every effect is so well layered and structured and you will not only learn the 'how's' but the all important 'whys'." - John Carey
"This is your one stop shop for self-working card tricks." - MagicOrthodoxy.com
"It's a Bannon DVD so...just BUY IT!" - Dave Forrest
"Rich with wonderful thinking and top-notch routines that all EASY to do." - Peter Duffie
"Great job on the production and the material is excellent. I give this release my highest recommendation!" - DARYL
* Collusion * Sort Of Pyschic * Trickbag - Jay Ose False Cut * Trickbag - Cross Cut * Ulterior * Trickbag - Cut Deeper Force * Prophet Motive * Trickbag - Deal & Cross Cut Force * Trickbag - Spectator Ose Cut * Trickbag - Remote Control * Trickbag - Rosetta Control * Ion Man * Trickbag - Equivoque * Ban-nihilation * Four Sided Gemini * Perennial
Move Zero (Vol 1) is the first in a series of four videos by John Bannon, in which he teams up with Big Blind Media to bring self-working magic to dazzling new heights. Anyone familiar with John Bannon's body of work will be well aware that he is no ordinary magician. It's especially when Mr Bannon applies his genius to self-working magic tricks that you get a real sense of his cleverness. Self-working tricks often get an unfair rap in magic, but when percolated through the mind of John Bannon, they get a caffeine kick like never before. In this series of four brilliant DVDs, John Bannon will perform and teach you some mind-blowing magic.
the main content of the video consists of the following:
- Performances: The section for each trick first features a performance for different spectators.
- Explanations: During the tutorial section, John Bannon not only explains how to do the trick, but also explains why things are done in a certain way, thus giving insight into the construction of the magic in a way to make it as strong as possible. As a nice touch, the closing sequence for each trick comprehensively covers all the credits.
- Other material: Between the tricks, there are "trick-bag" sections that cover some of the principles and tools that good self-working tricks will use, such as equivoque, basic cuts, and the cross-cut force. There are also "interview" sections covering John's thoughts on a range of magic topics in answer to questions put to him.
1. Content: This is a solid collection of tricks. There's some overlap in certain aspects of the material, but there's some very strong routines among the eight routines that are taught, with Collusion easily being one of my favourites from this DVD. Ban-nihilation is also a real fooler. I also really like the potential of Prophet Motive, and the presentational ideas of Perennial.
2. Self-working: Some of the tricks taught do require some set-up, although the majority can be performed impromptu. But it's fair to say that what we have here is a collection of genuine self-workers, that rely on cleverness, psychology, and subtleness, and where everything is openly performed, rather than on secret sleights.
3. Difficulty: Because all the tricks in this collection are self-working, they are well within the scope of beginners to learn. While there is excellent material here that beginners can perform, experienced performers will also find top notch magic that will satisfy them as well.
4. Powerful: Self-working doesn't mean weak magic, so don't dismiss this collection just because no sleights are used. These are still top notch card tricks, and when performed well they can really produce a big impact. And you can modify some of these tricks to introduce sleights if you think that makes them stronger.
5. Psychology: I really appreciate the presentation and patter that John Banner uses. Much of it is very subtle, reinforcing certain ideas that need to be important in the mind of the spectator; he does this very effectively, and it can make all the difference in performing a trick successfully. Behind much of his patter are very deliberate choices that emphasize psychological principles, and this kind of thinking is key to being a good magician.
6. Explanations: The teaching section consists of a dialogue that John has with Liam Montier and other BBM folks, and it has the feel of a personal sit-down session with a magician. But there's much more value to the teaching sections than just learning the method behind the effect in question. Along the way there are many moments of useful discussion, advice and tips that have very wide application, for example about equivoque, or patter.
7. Master-class Instruction: Move Zero isn't just about teaching effects. One thing I really appreciate about this DVD is that in addition to the eight routines, there are all kinds of extras: interviews, moves, advice. The BBM team has deliberately engaged John to de-construct his methods and the process of his thought. This is incredibly valuable, not just for the useful tips that he passes on, but also for developing your own thinking about magic, and how to craft routines that are truly powerful. One of John Bannon's real strengths is his understanding about the psychology of magic. This video does a good job of helping us understand some of his thought processes and so make us think more maturely about key aspects of magic.
8. Utility Moves: The "Trickbag" sections of the video cover some of the techniques that are foundational to self-working card magic. In these sections Bannon covers things like the Cross Cut Force, Balducci/Cut Deeper Force, and Equivoque - all important concepts that every magician should familiarize themselves with. While not sleights, they are absolutely clever tools worth having in your tool box.
9. Interviews: In these sections of the video, John Bannon shares his thoughts in response to questions on topics like what makes a good trick, his favourite tricks, what got him started in magic, and more. It's fascinating to get his personal insights about his own experiences, background, and perspectives.
10. Video: The video is 2 hours and 4 minutes in length, and is stellar quality all round. This starts with the video case, which has some very professionally produced graphic design as the cover artwork, and has a list of the contents on the back. The production quality is absolutely outstanding in every respect, and it is hard to think of a magic video with higher quality cinematography! The filming has been done in a studio, and the lighting and camera work is terrific. Multiple camera angles are used, along with panning and close-ups. A montage of images helps retain interest during longer sections of monologue and commentary from Bannon. At times music has been used to good effect to set a background mood. Everything about the video has been put together extremely well, and Big Blind Media deserves major kudos for their excellent work in producing such a high quality product. Absolutely superb!
Why should you be interested in a video dedicated to self-working card magic? Well, this isn't your ordinary self-working magic that doesn't stoop to the level of mathematical atrocities. It's top quality material that is well constructed and thoughtful, and which really capitalizes on important principles of magic. While being relatively easy to perform, these tricks still have the potential to produce real miracles for your spectator. John Bannon has a real gift in understanding the important psychological aspects of magic that can really strengthen a routine, and there's a great deal that can be learned from his clever and intelligent approach to the subtleties of magic.
From a technical and production point of view, the video itself is outstanding. In almost every respect, Big Blind Media has raised the bar for a quality magic video, and it's difficult to think how a superb production like this could be improved. Combined with strong material from a top notch and clever magic thinker like John Bannon, they have created a real winner with their Move Zero series. Congratulations all round, and highly recommended! - BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
As always, Mr. Bannon never fails to deliver quality, and (obviously) well thought out effects. What I have enjoyed mostly, however, of all three of Move zeros, are the extra sections in which John takes the time to explain his thought process behind the tricks, as well as "extras", including various moves and handlings to compliment the works. Thanks again, Mr. Bannon.
A collection of some excellent tricks combined with some stellar performances to suit. The tricks and psyche are explained in enough detail to keep you interested without John sounding overly clever and 'look how cool I am' like some other magicians do.
The production values on the DVD are excellent too, I think I will make sure any DVDs I purchase in future are also BigBlindMedia as they obviously know what they are doing when it comes to post-production.
I bought this as there was no sleights or moves needed. If like myself you are still working on your sleight of hand and are not 100% happy with it at all times then this DVD takes the pressure off. Great tricks and great forces etc; are shown in easy to follow steps. People say my sleight of hand is really good but until I feel that it is this is going to play on my mind while doing it in front of family & friends. This DVD also instills you with confidence and shows you moves that are really straightforward and so simple it's untrue and with no sleights theres not half the worry. Well done John Bannen.
I received my DVD yesterday. I have everything John Bannon has written or released in DVD. This has to be one of his best! I wish I would have had this DVD to perform some "SELF WORKING" miracles with all of the nuances and psychology required, when I was starting in magic. It would have saved me years of wading through many sources and references. The work here is fully referenced and attributed with great camera work; it is a very didactic and scholar work. Wholeheartedly recommended.
Not only are you getting Bannon's self working tricks - there are tons of segments weaved throughout that include his theory, thoughts and ideas. The whole thing is beautifully shot, nice transitions and menus
(Posted on 17/05/2016)
No questions yet. Be the first to ask the question!